Food Safety Officer Guide: Food safety officers play an important role in ensuring that food products are safe for consumers. Their essential duties can involve inspecting food processing facilities and procedures to ensure that applicable regulations are being followed. They may also test samples of food products and investigate complaints.
Food Safety Officer Guide 2020-21
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), hereinafter referred to as ‘Food Authority’ is a statutory Body under M/o Health and Family Welfare. FSSAI has been created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption to 130 crore citizens of the country.
Food safety officers may perform this role as an employee of an independent authority, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They may also work for companies that create and process food products. Food safety officers who work for food production companies emphasize compliance of FDA regulations and any other relevant laws or regulations are followed by their company.
They also identify potential problems with their company’s operations and develop ways to improve processing. When employed in this type of environment they may also be responsible for supervising other staff that are involved in maintaining production quality.
Food Safety Officer Guide 2020-21
**World’s First Ever Food Safety Day & Important Events**
Chapter 1: Indian and International Food Laws (An Overview)
· Food Safety and Standards Act of India, 2006: Provision, definitions and different sections of the Act and implementation.
· FSS Rules and Regulations
· Overview of other relevant national bodies (e.g. APEDA, BIS, EIC, MPEDA, Spice Board etc.)
· International Food Control Systems/Laws, Regulations and Standards/Guidelines with regard to Food Safety – (i) Overview of CODEX Alimentarius Commission (History, Members, Standard setting and Advisory mechanisms: JECFA, JEMRA JMPR): WTO agreements (SPS/TBT):
· Important national and international accreditation bodies
Chapter 2: FSSAI – Role, Functions, Initiatives ( A General Understanding)
· Genesis and Evolution of FSSAI
· Structure and Functions of Food Authority
· Overview of systems and processes in Standards, Enforcement, Laboratory ecosystem, Imports, Third Party Audit etc.
· Promoting safe and wholesome Food (Eat Right India, Food Fortification, snf, Clean Street Food Hub, RUCO and various other social and behavioural change initiatives)
· Training and capacity building
· Role of State Food Authorities
Chapter 3: Principles of Food Preservation, Processing and Packaging
· Food Processing Operations, Principles, Good Manufacturing Practices
· Overview of food preservation methods and their underlying principles including novel and emerging methods/principles
· Overview of food packaging methods and principles including novel packaging materials/techniques
Chapter 4: Principles and Basics of Food Chemistry and their role in Human Nutrition
· Structure and functions of macro-and micro nutrients
· Role of macro and micronutrients in human nutrition
· Overview of food additives with respect to their technological functions
· Overview of anti-nutritional factors and their removal from foods
· Overview of enzymes as food processing aids
· Overview of nutraceuticals and functions foods
· Overview of food contaminants and adulterants and their effects on human health
· Food allergens and allergen city
· Importance of diet in alleviating health risks, especially non-communicable diseases
Chapter 5: Food Microbiology & General principles of Food Hygiene
· General principles of food microbiology and overview of food borne pathogens
· Overview of sources of microorganisms in food chain (raw materials, water, air, equipment etc.) and microbiological quality of foods
· Microbial food spoilage and Food borne diseases
· General principles and techniques in microbiological examination of foods
· Overview of beneficial microorganisms and their role in food processing and human nutrition
· General principles of food safety management systems including traceability and recall – sanitation, HACCP, Good production and processing practices (GMP, GAP, GHP, GLP, BAP, etc)
Chapter 6: General concepts of Food Analysis and Testing
· Fundamentals of field level and laboratory sampling with reference to importance of statistical tools.
· Overview of basic/classical methods of food analysis
· Overview of modern analytical techniques including mass spectrometry and molecular techniques.
· Principles of Quality assurance and Quality control with reference to food analysis and testing.
Note- This book is useful for Central & State Food Safety Officer Exams like RPSC, APPSC, UPPSC & others.
FSSAI Written Exam Guide PDF
Index of the Book
Chapter: 1- Food Quality: GMP Auditing and inspections, Food Surveillance, Food Recall, Quality control of food at all stages processing, Safety issues in food packaging materials, Sampling from a lot or process line, Non-destructive food quality evaluation methods.
Chapter: 2- Food Safety Eco System in India: Indian Scenario of Food Safety: Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and its Background, The Food Safety and Standards Regulations (FSSR) 2011: Licensing and Registration, Schedule 4 requirements, Recent advances in Packaging and Labelling Requirements, Regulations related to Nutraceuticals and Foods for Special Dietary Uses, Provisions on Organic Food and Non-Specified Food/Food Ingredients, Central Advisory committee and scientific Committee/ panels, Food Import Clearance system, Notified labs and adjudications. Initiatives of FSSAI: Eat Right India, FoSTaC, Food Fortification, Detect Adulteration with Rapid Test (DART), Clean Street Food, BHOG (Blissful Hygienic Offering to God), Food Safety on Wheels, Food Smart Consumer, Codex, Diet for Life etc.
Chapter: 3- Food Science and Nutrition: Understanding food hazard, food borne illnesses, water and sanitation, GHP, GAP, HACCP, food allergies, Food Adulteration, Food Nutrition and Food Consciousness, Supplementation, Fortification, Bio-fortification, Poor Diet and consequences: Stunting, wasting & anaemia, Life style diseases, Food testing and rapid detection methods.
Chapter: 4- Food Processing and Preservation: Basic principles and methods of Food Preservation: Heat processing, pasteurization, canning, dehydration, freezing, freeze drying, fermentation, microwave, irradiation and chemical additives. Refrigerated and modified atmosphere storage. Aseptic preservation, hurdle technology, alternate-thermal technologies and non thermal processing, New/Novel food additives and preservatives. Safety issues of processed foods available in market.
FSSAI Written Exam Pattern Syllabus: FSSAI Mains Exam Syllabus
FSSAI New Exam Dates 2020 : Check FSSAI Exam Dates Here |
I am active on Social Media Networks. Click on the links given below to connect with me.